Immigration New Zealand says some visa holders will get an automatic extension of their work visas.
If you were in New Zealand on 9 May and your work or work to residence visa expires between 9 May and 31 December 2022 (dates inclusive), you may have been granted a new open work visa or six-month extension of your work to residence visa, NZ Immigration has said.
The visas would be extended automatically and without a charge. “INZ is in the process of updating its visa records and will email people who receive visas or extensions directly. New expiry dates can be checked on your visa record from 25 May. Visas or extensions are still valid before records are updated,” it said.
Essential Skills Work Visa holders, Post Study Work Visa holders and the Partners of a New Zealander have been granted the open work visa.
The new open work visas:
• are valid from 9 May 2022 until two years from the date of expiry of the previous visa
• allow the holder to work for any employer anywhere in New Zealand, and
• allow the holder to leave and re-enter New Zealand.
New visas have also been granted to partners and dependent children of work visa holders granted these new two-year visas. Visas granted to partners and dependent children will also expire two years after the date of their current visa.
To be eligible, your family must have been in New Zealand on 9 May 2022 and have held a visa:
• based on their relationship to you (the open work visa holder)
• that expires between 9 May and 31 December 2022 (inclusive).
Visa conditions remain the same.
On 9 May 2022, the following types of work to residence visas expiring between 9 May and 31 December (inclusive) were extended by six months:
• Talent (Accredited Employers)
• Talent (Arts, Culture and Sports)
• Long Term Skill Shortage List
• Skilled Migrant Job Search
• South Island Contribution.
Visas expiring between 9 May and 31 December 2022 (inclusive) held by partners and dependent children were also extended by six months. A family must hold a visa based on their relationship and have been in New Zealand on 9 May 2022.
Request an extension check
If you think you are eligible for the extension or grant of a new visa and it does not appear on your visa record after 25 May, you can request an extension check.
Please check INZ website for detailed information.
Leave a Reply