The changes are for Australian Citizenship by Descent and Evidence of Australian Citizenship
From 1 November 2021, the Department of Home Affairs’ website will direct all applicants for Australian citizenship by descent and Evidence of Australian citizenship to lodge their application through the online system, ImmiAccount.
Here is the information published by the Department of Home Affairs:
▪ From 1 November 2021, paper application forms for these two citizenship application pathways will no longer be available on the Department’s website.
▪ Requirements, eligibility criteria and costs for applications remain unchanged.
▪ Most applicants who apply for citizenship by descent or for evidence of their Australian citizenship already apply online.
▪ To ensure that people who face barriers to applying online are not disadvantaged, from 1 November 2021 the Department will consider individual requests for a paper application form for these two pathways on a case-by-case basis.
▪ From 1 November 2021, providers of lawful immigration assistance such as registered migration agents and Australian legal practitioners may also request a paper form if they are experiencing significant barriers to using the online channel.
▪ Paper application forms for Australian citizenship by descent and Evidence of Australian citizenship will be available for download on the Department’s website until 31 October 2021.
𝗔𝘂𝘀𝘁𝗿𝗮𝗹𝗶𝗮𝗻 𝗰𝗶𝘁𝗶𝘇𝗲𝗻𝘀𝗵𝗶𝗽 𝗯𝘆 𝗰𝗼𝗻𝗳𝗲𝗿𝗿𝗮𝗹
▪ There will be no change to the availability of paper application forms for Australian citizenship by conferral.
▪ The Department however has sought assistance to lodge applications for citizenship by conferral online wherever possible.
𝗢𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗿 𝗰𝗶𝘁𝗶𝘇𝗲𝗻𝘀𝗵𝗶𝗽 𝗽𝗮𝘁𝗵𝘄𝗮𝘆𝘀
▪ There will be no change to the availability of paper application forms for Australian citizenship by adoption, renunciation or resumption. These applications can only be made using a paper application form.
▪ The Department is committed to ensuring the efficient processing of citizenship applications. Online lodgement is the Department’s preferred lodgement method. Receiving applications through our online system helps us to process applications more efficiently, and supports the broader Australian Government’s digital transformation agenda.
𝗕𝗲𝗻𝗲𝗳𝗶𝘁𝘀 𝗼𝗳 𝗮𝗽𝗽𝗹𝘆𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗼𝗻𝗹𝗶𝗻𝗲 𝘁𝗵𝗿𝗼𝘂𝗴𝗵 𝗜𝗺𝗺𝗶𝗔𝗰𝗰𝗼𝘂𝗻𝘁 𝗶𝗻𝗰𝗹𝘂𝗱𝗲:
– Faster processing
– Flexibility to apply online and self-manage applications using multiple devices, including mobile phone, tablet or computer.
– Ease of fee payment – this is integrated into the online application process, no additional steps are required
– Ease of attaching document scans to an application and checking progress of an existing application.
– Immediate acknowledgement that an application has been received following lodgement.
▪ See Applying online in ImmiAccount for information on how to apply online.
▪ If after 1 November 2021 you are experiencing significant barriers to applying online and require a paper application form for Australian citizenship by descent or Evidence of Australian citizenship, please contact the Department of Home Affairs.